Tuesday, August 2, 2011

47 and one-half birthday !

Whoa ! I didn't realize that yesterday was my 47.5 birthday until later in the day.  Because I'm a first of the month baby - it's so easy to say - hey in ... 20 years - I BETTER be retired ... spending the majority of my time on a sailboat, in the Caribbean :)


This half birthday thing started when I turned 40.  As an aside, I spent my 40th birthday on a sailboat, in the Caribbean (ahhhhh).  That was my first real sail trip (sailed for a week) and let me tell you - there is nothing to do on a sailboat (if you're deck fluff like me) but drink, eat, read, sleep and think.  And that's where it occurred to me - hey, this is MY life.  I need to make sure that I'm doing what I want and to not let it pass me by.  The decision I made on that trip was: stop being a workaholic - start enjoying every single day.


Came home, started looking for a new job.  Didn't find a 'real' one.  Ended up finding one that would pay the mortgage (I was doing a ton of massage work at that time) so I took it.  Maybe not the best financial move but I was no longer a workaholic. 


'Back then' was when I really started paying attention to my finances (ie - will I be able to retire) so that was the birth of the Half-Birthday .... in other words, on 8/1 each year I am another half-year closer to retirement.  Am I on track for all of the things I want to do?


This year - yep, on 8/1 - I am working on the weight-thing.  All in all, I'm where I want to be :)



8 comments:

  1. CeCe! I am so glad to meet you! Are you coming to Chicago? If so I would love to have a fabulous glass of wine with you! Love boots too and I can't wait to go shopping for them this fall! Hopefully they will fit better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds like a great game plan!

    p.s.
    I bought a pair of boots for the winter that come up to mid calf! very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a terrific life plan - and Happy Half Birthday to YOU!!

    Oh Mercy.. now you've got me wantin' to go sailing.......

    Have a terrific day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Half Birthday!
    I understand the wanted to claim your life back. Mine has changed so much in the last 6 years since my youngest left for college and the changes are GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Half Birthday! er, yesterday! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy (late) half birthday!! Your plan sounds perfect!! Glad your enjoying your life :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dangit, everyone keeps talking about high boots and I'm jealous. Pretty sure they still wouldn't fit my chunky legs.

    I've never celebrated a half-birthday, but I think I might have to this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hap birt t yo. Hap birt t yo. Hap birt de Ce. Hap birt t yo. (That was me singing you half of the birthday song.)

    ReplyDelete